Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Minority

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.       

A few days ago one of my very close friend who is a "bihari" very unexpectedly commented "Kolkata me kuch bhi karo, waha ke bengali kuch nahi bolenge". by "kuch bhi" they meant create a nuisance the bengalis are too afraid to retaliate. Well I felt bad, yes bad because I am a Bengali but more so it made me question  that are we really bestowed with such genes that we refuse to "pay back: people what they should deserve or they don't deserve. Well actually I feel bad even some body comments against the "bihari" race, even though I don't have any descendants from the "esteemed" race. But things don't stop getting strange here itself. Why do I feel bad  when I see people talking against South Indians when I know for sure that I am not remotely related to any south India. And the end of it I do not know but I feel uneasy when people comment that "muslims" are the reasons for all the trouble in India. 

But after the incidents of continuous attacks on he biharis in Bombay and Maharasthrian regions confirmed me one thing , that beeing  "darpok"  is not the reason we  pardon the mistakes of the biharis in West Bengal and avoid skirmishes. I acutally congratulate every Bengali in West Bengal for their tolerance . For as of now I understand the majority coming together to inflict the minority is definitely not "bravery". For let's keep the underlying "popular" assumption that we Bengalis are physically and mentally weak for their satisfaction, yet a handful of us could easily outnumber and overpower against the minority there . Isin't the same thing happening in Maharasthra ? What makes the MNS activists think that they have the right to do everything in Maharasthra just because they are the majority there ? 

Well actually we humans are a unique stupid  race. We find reasons to trigger hatred when there ar'nt any . We try inflicting others not when we are strong but when we know we are weak. A friend of mine once commented that the only solution to the terrorists attacks is to kill all the muslims or throw them out of the country. But will the solution end there ? What can be gurantee that the hindus won't start fighting against each other. Isin't the incidents in mumbai a testimony to that. God knows we will start the caste wars. We would start what they call in marketing start " segmenting" ourselves !


P.S  - I normally refrain from writting such posts but the thing had been brooding on my mind for such long time that I fel that the post could give vent to it

1 comment:

sandeip said...

totally agree.

feel very strongly about it.but as you say...tolerance means having something to say,but not necessarily saying it :)