Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Five point some one - How not to mistake an IITian


‘Meet him; he works with me in Oracle. He is an IITian, Delhi IIT’ (The whole world calls it Delhi IIT and I had always preferred IIT Delhi) , my friend introduced me to his girl-friend who surprisingly was not bad looking.
‘Wow, cool, IIT, you must be very intelligent’
I kept my tongue tied as my tradition has been throughout my life, in front of neat looking girls and babbled in-coherently, clearly looking flustered
‘Well yes, I mean I was not bad at school and after luck has to play a big part you know ‘– I safely had put the whole blame of my being an IITian on the lady luck ( My escape line which I had been using successfully used since 2001 after I passed that fateful examination.)
‘Hey, I would go and check out the counter and see why are they taking so much time- you both site behind and hog the table case it gets occupied. Sundays are so much more crowded here.’
That left me and my friend’s hot friend (the last words framed by me actually made me chuckle recollecting an episodes of ‘Naughty America’ – I really am a dog. ) with nothing in common to talk. I tried to avert her furtive glances and fixated my views mechanically on the toddler on the table right of me – who was banging the empty coke can on the table, whereas his parents totally oblivious to this were completely involved among themselves. I for once slyly glanced at her, to which she smiled and as I as though hit by shock quickly looked the other side averting her look.
‘ So an Delhi IIT product ( she considered IIT as a manufacturing factory) , which hostel ‘
Oh no I know where it is leading – not again ‘Nilgiri, I replied – IIT Delhi hostels are named after mountains ‘
‘ Oh yes , like Kumaon’ – The idiot Chetan Bhagat had perhaps managed to brand Kumaon so high in the minds of non IIT Delhi pass oust that , fresh entrants would now have probably started giving preference of Kumaon hostel first before the branches. ‘ So you must have read 5 point some-one – of course you must have its your story ‘
And here came the dreaded question – ‘ No I have not ‘, I replied in I do not know why guilty tone.
‘You must ‘– She ordered as if she was shell shocked – you would be able to relate so much more’. I at that moment wanted to strangle Bhagat and hang at the same gallows in which his illustrious name alike was executed before independence.
‘ Ya I will – I mean all say that it’s an IITian story , and I mean I am from the same college , so really did not find it important .Besides most of the facts mentioned in the novels are such blatant lies that masking them as fiction would be preposterous. ‘
‘Umm- I don’t know why S has yet not returned back’ she snapped (She clearly seemed offended by my branding her only read literature with such coarse words)
Obviously that was my last conversation with her the whole evening and all plans of reenactment of the movie ‘unfaithful’ went for a toss.

P.S: After countless encounters like the incident above due to that miscreant Bhagat, I finally faced his master – piece today and completed it in 3.5 hrs. Exactly how long it takes to complete a long over drawn Bollywood movie. For most past I breezed past it and actually enjoying it like a typical Hindi movie goers does. One submission though, with the CGPA word making an appearance in every page of the novel –people might think that it is the most used term by an IITian. It’s not – apart from the first and last semester the term remains oblivious for most of the time in the four years

No comments: